The process of gutter cleaning forms a vital part of your home maintenance schedule. However, gutters are often overlooked by homeowners and are not given much importance. Over time, unclean gutters can lead to clogging, which can damage the walls, roofs and foundation of your house. As a result, you’ll experience losses measuring almost thousands of dollars.
Thus, it’s crucial to check your gutters regularly, so that any problem can be detected beforehand and can be solved without much fuss.
Significant Reasons To Check Your Gutters Regularly
- Your House’s Foundation Can Be Damaged By Faulty Gutters
According to a professional home inspector in Denver, it doesn’t matter how strong the foundation of your home is because it can be easily damaged with excess water that will get pooled around the base of the building. When your gutters don’t work as intended, the water from your roof doesn’t get drained effectively and thus get accumulated around your home’s foundation.
There are mainly three ways to deal with foundation damages due to faulty gutters and they are as follows:
- When water isn’t drained properly, the soil around the foundation of your home will quickly become saturated. Thus, additional pressure will be exerted on your home and will thereby potentially damage the basement walls or foundation.
- When the water will get drained eventually, it will also take the soil with it, leading to erosion of soil from your foundation. As a result, the overall weight of your building will get distributed in an uneven manner across your entire foundation.
- Over time, the accumulation of water will lead to cracks and dampness. Basements can get flooded and mould infestation can also take place.
- Your Property’s Exteriors Will Be Damaged By Clogged Gutters
Your building’s exteriors might be waterproof, but the surface might still get damaged if it’s exposed to water for a long time. When your gutters get clogged, the water from the gutters will overflow and damaged the roof and the exterior walls. Ultimately, if such issues go unchecked, it can lead to expensive repairs.
Additionally, your exterior walls will get stained due to the flow of water along the sides of your house.
- Your Property Will Experience Mould Infestation Due To Clogged Gutters
Once mould takes a foothold inside your home interiors, it can be difficult to remove the same. Most of the time, mould infestation occurs due to the build-up of moisture over time. Sometimes, it can also take place due to the lack of any proper ventilation in closed spaces. With your damaged gutters, water may flow into your home interiors through the basement, walls, roof and the like, leading to irreparable damage.
Therefore, without repairing your gutters, you cannot expect to curb mould infestation. Furthermore, a mould infestation can lead to:
- Skin irritation
- Respiratory issues
- Allergic reactions