Fans of poker know that there are many variations to poker apart from the classic Texas Hold’em. In online casinos especially, players tend to find a range of game types, all with a twist of casino-style playing. Today we are here to inform you of the poker versions that you can find in online casinos such as OnlineCanadianCasino.
Texas Hold’em, Omaha, 5-card draw – these are all well-known and popular types of poker found online. But which one is the best? How do they differ? All about that is revealed in this article.
The most popular variant of poker isn’t a miss with online casinos! This is the most common type of poker that can be found. Most people are familiar with the rules of Texas Hold’em, but it has been modified to suit playing in online casinos. What’s different is the fact that players compete against the dealer instead of each other. The game is played in the following order:
- The player pays the ante (optional size of the bet).
- The dealer draws 2 cards for the player (face-up) and 2 cards for themselves (face-down).
- The dealer draws the flop – 3 community cards at the centre of the table.
- Now the player has the choice to either fold or continue with the hand by betting double the amount they’ve already paid for the ante. This is known as the “bet”.
- If the player continues, further 2 community cards are drawn (the turn and the river).
- Showdown – the dealer reveals their private 2 cards and the player compares their hand to the dealer’s hand.
Benefits of this type of poker could be summed up as:
- Easy to play and understand the rules.
- Potential for huge payouts – if the player paid a high ante, they can further bet twice that amount.
Omaha is very similar to Hold’em. Again, it is played against the dealer in online casinos. In fact, Omaha and Hold’em are almost identical except for 2 small differences. That is the number of private cards that the player gets and the way their final hand is made up.
In Omaha, every player is dealt 4 private (hole) cards and 5 community cards are dealt to the table. At the showdown, the player uses specifically 2 of their private cards and 3 of the community cards to make up their hand.
- Tends to be a more exciting and potentially a more rewarding game. The extra 2 cards at play means it is much easier to form good hands – chances for hands like a straight and a flush increase dramatically, as well as the chances for all other hands.
This is a quicker and more simple type of poker that is popular with online casinos. The game is played as follows:
- The 2 players left of the dealer place a small blind and a big blind.
- Every player is dealt 5 private cards.
- A betting round is completed with players either calling, folding or raising.
- After this betting round, the remaining players can choose to either keep their hands or draw from 1 to 5 new cards.
- One more round of betting.
- Showdown – the best hand wins the pot in its entirety.
5-card draw is popular for a few reasons:
- The game is simple, easy to understand for beginners.
- Because there is only 1 drawing round (with the optional second drawing in step 4), the game tends to move quickly. 5-card draw has a quick turnaround and you will be playing many more hands an hour when compared to other types of poker.
Now you might be wondering which type is the best? We think all poker types have their own advantages. The player has to decide which type is the best suited for them. Texas Hold’em is good for experienced players as it is the most popular type with the most competition. Omaha is a fun variation to Texas Hold’em where the equities between player’s hands will be much closer. The 5-card draw is best for beginners who are learning the basics of making up a poker hand and also those who like fast gameplay.
Which one will you choose? Gamble responsibly and as always, we wish you huge wins!