Are you thinking of buying a boat for yourself? Well, good for you! After all, this is an important asset to have, especially when you live near the lake or the ocean. With it, you can go boating with your family or friends anytime you want. Not only that, but you can save yourself from having to spend on expensive boat rentals.
However, as exciting as it seems, you should still make sure you are getting a good boat while not breaking the bank. In a way, you should know that the boat loan interest rates you are paying every month fit your budget and do not make your life rather miserable.
Computing the Interest Rate on Your Boat Loan
The standard formula for calculating estimated boat loan interest rates is as simple as this:
L x R / N = Monthly Interest Rate
- L – the amount borrowed
- R – the interest rate offered by your lender
- N – the number of months you agree to repay your loan
So, for example, you have the following figures:
L – $30,000
R – 10%
N – 36 months
It will be 30,000 x .10 / 36. The interest rate that you have to pay would be $83.33 per month.
However, you can always make the process easier by using a boat loan repayment calculator. Once you have taken these pieces of information into account, you can use them on the calculator, which will generate estimated monthly payments for financing a new or used boat.
Remember that the monthly instalments that you have to make would also depend on your down payment. The bigger it is, the smaller your monthly payments will be.
Why Getting a Pre-Approved Loan Is Important When Buying a Boat
As previously implied, it is important to make sure you are not going way beyond your budget when buying a boat. This is where the right financing option comes in. With it, you can go out to sea without worrying about how to pay off your debt.
If you get pre-approved for a loan, you know that you can afford the purchase. Then, you can confidently get on with shopping for a boat that you really want.
Finding the Best Boat Loan Option for Your Circumstance
Every lender is different, and thus the financing options they offer. Here are some tips on picking the right loan for yourself.
Know the different types of loans
There are various types of loans available in Australia, and each has its own set of characteristics.
- Fixed-rate loan – This could be the most straightforward financing solution, where you keep making the same payments throughout the entire life of the loan until you complete it.
- Variable-rate loan – Usually, this type of loan offers lower introductory rates and is most suitable when interest rates are on the decline. However, it can be difficult to manage the fluctuating rates.
- Balloon payment loan – With this option, you can push off a large portion of the loan until the final payment is due. This is ideal if you plan to only have the boat for a few years.
- Secured loan – This option requires collateral. In this case, where you are applying for boat loans Australia lenders offer, the boat will serve as such.
- Unsecured loan – While this does not require collateral, it usually comes with higher interest rates. And, it is often granted to those with stellar credit ratings.
- Home equity loan – This option uses your home’s equity as collateral, instead of the boat.
- Personal loan – Basically, this type of loan can be used for anything, including a boat purchase. However, its interest rates tend to be higher than most loans, and the repayment term can be a lot shorter.
To know which type of loan is right for you, you should look into your current situation and consult a boat loan expert in your area.
Review and clean up your credit history
Like taking out caravan loans Australia has to offer, you have to clean up your credit report when getting pre-approved for a boat loan. Normally, lenders and credit unions would offer favourable terms, such as lower interest rates, to those who are proven as good borrowers.
So, if you have an existing debt that is hurting your score, pay it off as soon as possible to boost your creditworthiness.
Choose to make a sizeable down payment
If possible, you should request to make a sizable down payment. This way, you will have less to finance the monthly payments. And, more often than not, this also makes interest rates more favourable.
Buying a boat comes with a huge financial obligation, which is why it is an intimidating affair for many people. However, by doing your research, ensuring you have a good credit score, and seeking professional advice, you will have a solid financing solution to turn this dream of yours into a reality.
Considering the price involved, buying a boat can be a huge investment. But once you have established the boat loan interest rates that you will be paying each month, it will be easier to picture your circumstances when you own the boat.
For more tips and information that you would find useful in making a sound financial decision, feel free to check the other articles on our site!